A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Monday, August 9, 2021

Reservation Gas

While driving home the other day just a tad South of the Buffalo, NY area, I decided to fill the gasoline tank (it was about half-full). Since my trek home only encompassed interstate highways for no more than 50 miles at a stretch, the roads home were (2 lane and scary) and some (4 lane) highways and byways. After an hour of driving and on a two-lane road with a few lights, I decided to pull into one of two gas stations in the area.
I am usually an observant person and driver. For some reason, maybe because I was singing along with a song on the radio…loud and proud… I was not "tuned" in to my actual surroundings. It happens that the route Siri had me on was smack dab in the middle of an Indian Reservation. I never knew there were Indian Reservations in that area, though the sign at the gas station "First Nations Convenience," should have been my first clue.
I thought the name was a marketing scheme, never thinking it was truly a First Nations store.
When I pulled up to the pump, I retrieved my credit card out of my wallet, pushed the button to open the gas tank, and jumped out of the car. The car ahead of me began pulling out of the lot when a man appeared right in front of me and scared the crap out of me. I did not see him when I pulled up initially.
He said that I was at a Full Service Station, and that I was on an Indian Reservation. I was lost for words because I was still thinking about pumping my own gas (they also have full service in New Jersey and we always fill up before we get into the state). He kept walking towards me until there was nowhere for me to go except around the car the other way. I handed him my credit card so he could begin the process of pumping my gasoline.
Once around the car, he suggested to seat myself back into the car and relax. So I did. I replaced my credit card back into my wallet, and waited patiently (slow pump) for my tank to fill up. I manufactured some sunshine with deep breaths and thankfulness that my car was being taken care of by a very kind man.
I then looked around the gas station and area with a more critical eye. Sure enough, I noticed more First Nation people coming and going out of the convenience store, along with the area surrounding this station.

I was elated to find this treasure!
BSoleille!
Terri


No comments: