A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Friday, August 27, 2021

Back in the Groove

I am thankful to be back in my hotseat(s) of the gig economy—writing, quilting, and tomorrow, refereeing soccer as the start of the high school matches begin. All this following an epic vacation the past two weeks. 

To share the writing prompt today from the Writing In Community brings me joy; here it is.

Summer Vacation 2021...

I am trying to fit into my world on what it meant for me to be gone from home 8 weekends in a row; the last two weeks were spent out West that incorporated the 7th and 8th weekend as well. This is what I learned and contemplated about:

The Power of Love - three weddings; Long Island, New York; Red Bank, New Jersey and Hiram, Ohio

The Power of Travel - family vacation on Kelleys Island, Ohio in June (drove), a two week vacation out West in August with Bill (flew) and the whole month of July planning and recovering from the five weekends of being away from home.

The Power of a Book Signing - a big one in Cleveland, Ohio in July as well as a couple of book club appearances.

The Power of Friendship - deepening bonds with visits including both family and friends from near and far.

The Power of Connections - meeting up In Real Life (IRL) with members of WIC; Annette Mason 2X (Washington DC and Boulder, Co); Kathy Taylor in Lyons, CO: and Angus Lockyer in Boulder, CO. The magic of the conversations were off the charts as well as meeting spouses (Bob - Annette’s husband and Tim, Kathy’s husband). There was something strong and genuine with each meetup that I am over the moon with our timing that it worked out. 

The Power of Vision of Foundations - we were introduced not only to the iconic restaurant Flagstaff House in Boulder, CO, but a local foundation “There With Care” by our dear friends now living in Colorado. This benefit was near and dear to our hearts as their mission is to help families and children during critical phases of medical crisis. Typically they help with the day-to-day expenses and obligations with compassion and care. A win-win in our book!

And finally, I think my biggest takeaway this summer was being mindful of every hike I was gratefully able to do in a forest.

The Power of Forest Bathing - I simply could not get enough of it. As an athlete through the years, I’ve done a lot of running, 99% of it outside in all kinds of weather. Running down tree-lined streets or a park is not the same as hiking through thousands of pine trees or aspen in a dense forest in the mountains of Colorado or the canyons in the Black Hills of South Dakota. To take in the gifts of nature and allow it to take over the senses is what Forest Bathing is all about. Camping at nearly 10,000 ft. in elevation eliminates being tied to a smart phone or computer since there is no WiFi or signal in sight to connect to. The best connection happens to be right there in front of you, each tree, rock formation, wildflower and wildlife to ease the mind of everything else swirling around the brain. Sleeping under the stars in a sleeping bag on soft pine needles made the forest bathing even more profound. When the full moon came around the tall pines the first night, I was ecstatic on my good fortune for a possible moon tan since it was so so bright.

I found this forest bathing (which I’ve done many times before but never had a name for it until this trip ironically) lifting my spirits to a new plateau. I tried to overdose on it so when I got home I can still feel that feeling of mindfulness and the spirit of the forest until my next visit.  

BSoleille!

Terri

Bill, me, Kyle Misencik, Julian Wheating, Caitlin Misencik, Linda & Mark Misencik
Pablo's in downtown Denver, CO (a favorite/local coffee shop)


No comments: