A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Manufactured Sunshine

When life throws you lemons, the proverbial saying goes, we make lemonade. As a quilter, when life throws out scraps, we make scrap quilts. And when "life" has no, or little sunshine, I learned quickly, I "need" to manufacture my own kind of "sunshine"!

So this quilt top I recently finished was a true labor of love, and not only for the "completed" project (still needs to be quilted). For you see, I truly forced myself to sew this top throughout a very trying time: weary weather, waiting for Ryan's pathology report and, simply, a dreary world, literally and figuratively. I never turned my machine off for basically a week, though I wanted to on many occasions, because I knew this was of utmost importance that I continue on, as if "everything is going to be fine".

And as I have realized through the years, it's the melodic and humming sound of my machine that soothes my family's soul, especially Ryan"s. In our very tiny corner of the world, if Mom is sewing and creating something with her fabric, things are "normal", with hope and comfort profoundly felt.

Practically overnight, this quilt has skyrocketed to the top of "meaning a lot to me", and has become a symbolic meaning of manufacturing your own sunshine during the darkest of days.

I am thankful it is "almost" done, and will be entered in my quilt guild's upcoming quilt show in March of 2017 (more info later)!

BSoleille!
Terri

Photo of "Manufactured Sunshine"




No comments: