A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Bronze Baby Shoes

Since today is considered in many social media forum's "Throwback Thursday", I wanted to toss out a photo of me on my first birthday, along with the first pair of shoes I wore, dipped in bronze. It was the "thing" back in the day to bronze baby shoes, though, I have not carried on that tradition into my own family. How I got to thinking about this whole phenomenon was that a tshirt quilt client came by the house this week, and immediately glanced up to the top of the china cabinet and noticed the brass shoes "peeking" out from it's perch. She said I was only the second person she knew who even had such an item (young lady that she is!), and I even forgot it was actually up there and never paid close attention to it.

So I brought down the dusty photograph and shoes for closer inspection. Of course, I do not remember that day, but I still have that red dress (handed down to me after two younger sisters who wore it, and then "The Best Daughter"). Somewhere I have a photo of "The Best Daughter' in the same dress on her first birthday too, sans bronze shoes.

So raise your hand if you had one of these, or do you even remember those bronze shoes keepsakes? I had to look it up and there is still one company out there that does it (American Bronze Company), and has been since 1934! They can re-dip if the "bronze" is decaying and peeling....

BSoleille! The bright side of a "found" keepsake!
Terri

No comments: