A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Monday, January 30, 2017

Feedsack Frenzy

I was lucky to "inherit" 20 - 12.5" handsewn feedsack blocks by a former guild and bee member, Karen Jurotich. I think these fabrics may be from the 1950's (but who knows, maybe even earlier?).

Feedsacks have an interesting history dating back to the late 1800's. They were used for feed, of course, but also flour, sugar and grain from the late 1800's to the 1950's. They became commercial darlings and eventually were massed produced by the late 1800's, which I find fascinating. Businesses figured out that the farmer's wife could turn these cloth feedsacks into "works of art", and the competition became fierce for their hard earned dollars when purchasing the families provisions during that time period. Woman collected and traded them and were inspired by all the patterns and colors flooding the market to make beautiful items for their homes.

I have worked and reworked some of the blocks that are not quite 12.5", along with hand dying the "cheddar" cornerstones, and lastly, finding antique muslin for the inner sashings to keep this quilt "authentic". However, the quilting part is where the old met the new, and I must admit, I hand-guided my Long-Armed on the entire quilt top to bottom. Hand-quilting, though beautiful, is a thing of the past for me. I felt empowered that since the technology is available to use with a machine, and more specifically, a Long-Arm, why not put it to good use and merge these hang-sewn blocks with a traditional hand-guided pattern for posterity?

BSoleille! The bright side of a present day old timey feedsack quilt!

Terri





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Terri it is beautiful even with the Long Arm quilting. You do such wonderful work. Thanks for sharing.

Quiltermary said...

This is a wonderful quilt. Great job!!