A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Mosque and Museum in Abu Dhabi 

Just think of the hottest day you’ve ever experienced, and you can attest to maybe waking up at 7am and the weatherman saying it feels like 120 degrees outside...No joke because it was!

But the folks in this region stick to their air-conditioned rooms, homes, and offices like glue. Who can blame them? I have rarely seen anyone outside for the past few days, especially kids. They are smart and stay inside!

So without boring you with an unbreathable weather report, I did get to some incredible sites in Abu Dhabi! (Running from air-conditioned cars and buildings). 

First, stop at the Grand Mosque. It was unbelievable and beautiful, and I’ve never seen anything quite like it in my life. All faiths were welcome, and women who were not dressed "appropriately" were sent to a room filled with abayas. Mine was a dusty blue. Our guide, Nasir Abdulla, was intelligent, funny, and articulate (engineering college student) in describing the entire building and tales along the way of our free hour-long tour. It took 10 years to build and opened in 2007. It’s the 12th largest mosque in the world, and every measure was used to make it the best in the UAE. I think they succeeded. 

The second stop was the Louvre Abu Dhabi. This beautiful museum opened in November 2017. I was very impressed with the curated articles, some dating back to 3000-5000 BC. The museum then went through a timeline of the ages and the art of the day or time period worldwide. Definitely, a must-see if in the area, and hands down, the Grand Mosque is #1. 

Osama and I then went to pick up my hostess, Shahrazad, from work, and we all drove the 1.5 hours back together (same with the trip this morning). 

I’m so thankful for these unforgettable experiences in the Middle East, and a huge shout of THANKS to Shahrazad Roohi for hosting me for three days in her beautiful home. 

BSoleille!

Terri


No comments: