A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Ethiopian Quilt Reveal Party!

When the gate opened upon our arrival, the chanting of "Terri, Terri, Terri" by all the kids sent shivers down my spine. I couldn’t believe it. What was more amazing is that they could all pronounce my name with ease! So this eager crowd of the cancer kids, their parents and the staff were all excited to host us today, and these folks really know how to throw a party despite any economic disadvantage that maybe detected. 

They all started off singing and dancing and entertaining us while we waited for Dr. Shad and Julie Broas of Aslan to finish their meetings at the hospital(s). When we were all together, the bag of quilts was brought out to reveal to the kids and parents all the beautifully hand-crafted quilts made by my quilt guild, the Southern Comforters of Bowie, Maryland. They were all stitched with love and best wishes to anyone sleeping under one, or maybe more aptly, the kids will be wrapped in kindness made by folks a half world away. This evening was truly remarkable and the parents really felt the love and meaning of perfect strangers who want the best outcomes for their fighting children. 

These brightly colored and happy quilts will be placed on all the beds in this Mother Teresa home for children with cancer tomorrow. It was late and dark when we left, but Dr. Shad, Julie and I left elated and thankful the impact these quilts made on a wonderful group of people trying their best every day with their sick child. 

Even more remarkable was the amazing staff that help each child and family with their treatment and trips back and forth to the Black Lion Hospital, plus all the going’s on in this tightly knit community. Their love and passion to help was very impressive to me (I cried once again, it’s was so hard not to). A truly life changing moment...

I wish I could post more photos today, but not possible on this "weak" hotel WiFi. I will at a later date. 

BSoleille! The bright side of the hope I saw etched on each parents face...this will stay with me forever!

Terri    


Julie Broas, me, Dr. Aziza Shad

Dr. Shad serving cookies, and you know, everyone she offered one to just took one!

The staff: Julie, Psycholgist, Meaza (also a Psycholgist), Werkitue (nurse/family care-giver), Mekdes (family care-giver), Sara Ibrahim (coordinator for TAPCCO and liaison for The Aslan Project), Frewoywie (my guide for two days in Addis and accountant for TAPPCO), Fantou (social worker), and Dr. Shad 

Staff photo






1 comment: