A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Double Nickel Tour Screeching to a Halt

This post will be a "little" on the long side, but please hang on with me! First of all, I would like to give a huge SHOUT OUT to all retired and active military around the globe, that day in and day out, protect our shores, spread goodwill throughout the world, and allow 350 million people to have freedoms that most countries wish they could have. Kudos and THANK YOU to all!

I have to report that only four hours remain on my 55th year tour, or Double Nickel, as I previously mentioned! Truly, I could not be more thankful ending the 55 Tour just as I started it; running a half marathon (13.1miles), in Richmond, Virginia. My "tribe" of six other runners "braved" the cold starting temperature of 26 degrees, but the bright sunshine and crystal clear blue skies made the morning race all worthwhile.

"The Best Daughter" paced our way to finishing the half under two hours, specifically 1:58:36 or 9:03 a mile. I am now grateful to break that "barrier", but was not "feeling it" at mile ten when we had to keep the pace steady to hang on to break it. The big star of the day was tribe member, Linda Misencik, who ran with her husband, Mark, with a very respectable time of 1:45.30 (8:04/mile pace) and placed second in our age group (55-59) with 242 runners. I ended up 30th, and thrilled!! We both are!

In addition to all of the above, I am blessed beyond measure with a wonderful immediate and extended family, loving and kind friends from all walks of life, and new friends I met along the way this past year. Most importantly, you, by blog readers, who have read my posts and travelled the journey with me. You inspire me, and, in turn, I hope I inspire you even in some small way. I Thank You from the bottom of my heart.

But I'm not done...yet, and I would like to thank my friend, Wendy Allen, who gave me the idea to be cognizant each day of my 55th year (she did it too!). It's from that I have some reflections and highlights that come to mind over the past year...and granted, not everything was fun and games:

Running:
(2) half marathons (Richmond, Virginia) Nov 2016/2017
(1) 10-miler (Annapolis, MD) Dec 2016
(2) 5K's (Spalding Turkey Trot Nov 2016 and Kelleys Island June 2017)
(1) Triathalon that became a Duathlon (Bethany Beach Sept. 2017)

Mountain Climbing:
Hiked my first 14, 300 ft. mountain - Grays Peak, Colorado - July 4th, 2017
Also hiked throughout Crested Butte, Colorado and camped at 10,000-12,000 ft. - June 2017

Soccer:
Refereed over 100 soccer games (youth and high school)

Other:
Celebrated 30 years of marriage with my one and only; Bill Tomoff; Attended 4 weddings (Boulder, Chicago, Avon, Ohio and Cleveland, Ohio) and several funerals; drove by myself for three days out to Boulder, Colorado; attended a couple different MLB fields on the way back from Colorado with my son, Ryan; and quilted as much as I could when not doing all of the above!

But the last blessing, and the most important one, is that I was able to care for Ryan as he battled through two major tongue cancer and neck surgeries (December 1, 2016 and January 9, 2017). His care and recovery were not easy; not one bit, frankly, but our attitude of gratitude carried us through some very difficult days.

Tomorrow, I will be 56. I will live each day in the next year as best I can and continue the journey with a grateful heart.

BSoleille! The bright side of an awesome Double "55" Nickel Tour! Whoooohoooo!!!

Terri

Photos of the Richmond Half and dinner at Jimmy Cantler's

The "tribe": Ryan Collier, Whitney Vincent, Bill, me, Olivia, Mark and Linda Misencik

A minute before the race started: 7:33am

Bill, Olivia "The Best Daughter" and me.

Linda and Mark Misencik

Celebrating the day at Cantler's in Annapolis, Maryland






1 comment:

retstoy said...

From reading your blog it sure was a busy "55" for you. I hope that "56" brings as much joy and happiness to you and your family. Happy Birthday!