A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Friday, April 11, 2014

Bao Bao at the National Zoo

The impetus for today's trip to the National Zoo began when Mai Xiang had a baby panda several months ago, named Bao Bao, and the "furry" began with panda-monium (and I could not wait to get down there)!  So, with a great forecast predicted, my friend Wendy Allen and I headed out with our cameras, lighter weight clothing, and laser focus on getting to see that baby panda!  Upon arrival we headed straight up to the Panda Pen and were delighted with Baby Bao Bao's "antics" right from the start.  At first he was just hanging out, quite literally, in a tree, and never got down as long as we were there (over an hour).  He was moving around a bit, but then fell asleep (we were told he sleeps for 20 hours/day).  So, to see "some action" was terrific for those who came to see him today.  We then continued to "watch him sleep",  which, let's face it, not too exciting, so we decided to walk around the Panda House.  Once inside, we got through to the "scientific cameras" where we noticed that Bao Bao's Mom headed out to the "yard".  We quickly followed her outside.

At this point I was practically jumping out of my skin because she really gave the crowd a great show and plenty of photo ops by walking around, eating a lot of bamboo, "doing her business", and then waddled back into the "house".  This probably took about an half hour total, and the cuteness factor never wore off!  Our cameras were working overtime to try and "capture" the moment(s).  It was definitely worth the price of admission (free, but parking is a flat $22).  For me, this was extremely exciting to see!

We then ventured on to other animals throughout the zoo, but everything paled in comparison to the cute pandas.

And finally, since we were already in DC, why not just go home though the District and see the Cherry Blossoms to round out the day?  It was a drive by, since traffic was quite thick, and parking is at a premium, but beautiful nonetheless.

BSoleille!  The bright side of being thankful for a glorious day well spent!
Terri

Photos:  wittled down to several favorites taken today, and since I did not post yesterday, I hope you "bear" with me.....














No comments: