A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Friday, June 25, 2021

Brushing Up Quilt Skill - Paper Piecing

I'm not fond of paper piecing but it is required for a set of blocks for one of our shoe box swappers. As a quilter for over 30 years, I've done very little paper piecing. My brain was stretched as I used the technique needed to make each block. Luckily, I took my assigned month for Marjorie's blocks called: Worlds Without End to IRL bee this week. There I had three other bee-mates help me get started and coach me as I sewed each 6" block. Frankly, it was learning (or aptly, re-learning) how to do the first one, the others fell into place with nary a problem. It's that whole thing of lining up fabrics to paper and making sure that right sides are together; a lot of geometry. One bee-mate offered to make the blocks for me, but I couldn't or wouldn't relent that easily. 

I wanted to overcome that uneasy space and challenge myself no matter how uncomfortable that was. Sure, I was frustrated with the first one, but after I figured it all out on my own it was smooth sailing to the finish. 

From now on, whenever I see a paper pieced quilt, I will genuflect to the quilt and quilter (if around). I know how difficult it can be (especially with little pieces), but the final product is amazing with crisp, if not perfect points and a sense of accomplishment! Four 6" blocks took me awhile, but it was a great exercise to shore up, brush up, with the skill of paper piecing. 

BSoleille!

Terri





No comments: