A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Friday, June 8, 2018

Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt Heirloom

The Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt was "all the rage" after 1925 using hexagons. Many women who never made another quilt at that time, definitely made this one. The ladies of the day loved all the color combinations of the flowers, and green was often used for the background. Thousands of "hexies" were needed to make a decent size quilt, and it was a matter of pride to parade around a finished quilt of this magnitude because so many of them were hand-pieced which took hours to create! A definite labor of love for some lucky family member of that "quilter."

So, a few months ago, my friends Bill and Colleen Gawne, and Bill's sister, Bobbi, wanted me to finish a Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt that they inherited from their mother recently. Bill and Colleen want to hand this quilt down to their college age daughter, Jordan, after it's completion. I was giddy with emotion when opening the box and honored to finish this 85 year old quilt in pristine condition (by the way, I waited to open the box with my Just Sew Bee too, so we can all ooh and ahh over this awesome quilt top!).

Blending the old and the new, I used cotton batting which is what they would have used in the 1930's; but "modernized" it by Long-Arm Quilting it. I must admit, it turned out beautifully. I was impressed that all the hand-stitching remained intact with the dense machine quilting I did, and Jordan is one lucky girl to receive a treasured keepsake from her great-great grandmother that was handed down to the women of the family through the years. Very special indeed!

BSoleille!
Terri



No comments: