A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Friday, July 9, 2021

Remembering Mom (Sophie Nolan) One Year After her Passing

Most people who have followed along with me through the years know that I am an milestone poster. Today is no different. It is the 1st anniversary of my Mom's (Sophie) passing one year ago today, July 9th, 2020. l really can't believe a year has gone as quickly as it has during a crazy pandemic. Last year with the Covid ramping up, no one was allowed to be with their loved one on their dying day (especially in the nursing home she was in at that time). This was my understanding, and frankly, heartbreaking beyond comprehension. 

There was some wrinkle that we could have come in for 5 minutes with a full body PPE, face mask and shield, plus sign a document (waiver) 25 pages long to not hold the nursing home responsible for possible contamination. How would we know the window of time with the 5 minutes we would be allotted when she was going to die to be admitted to the floor? It was a unfortunate notion to even try to "time it" and be there for her last breath. My sisters and I made the decision that due to my mom's severe dementia at that time, she most likely would never have recognized us anyway, and waited for the dreaded phone call. We had to come face to face that she would pass with a stranger, albeit (I hope) a kind nurse. We were apprised that was the case, but it did not make that day any easier for our family.

So many people around the world have suffered over the last year and a half. I'm hoping for brighter days ahead. I'm confident there will be many possibilities of goodness on the horizon as we recover and "move about the cabin" once again.

Terri




No comments: