A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

National Parks Anyone?

Remember all my photos and other paraphernalia I/we moved out of the back office to prep, paint and install new flooring? Well, thankfully, we've been able to cull down quite a bit of the "stuff" to recycle and trash, with closet space available in that room to move what's left back in (still quite a few tubs, but way less than when we started). But it took me all day to get to that point, because, let's face it, we get stuck looking at photos and other stuff, and I'm guilty of just that. 

I'm glad I opened up a few things though that I never recalled seeing before (some photos and keepsakes from my parent's house), and of course, our own photos. Two photos of our Grand Canyon adventure in 1989 slipped out of one of the photo books. When I picked them up off the floor, I was immediately transported back to that dusty Kaibab Trail and to the bottom of the canyon and the Colorado River (isn't that the beauty of the memory?) That hike was a transcending "moment" for me with doing the entire hike in one day (about 8 hours with 1/2 hour lunch at the bottom); Kaibab down, and Bright Angel back up. It was 60 degrees when we started off at 6am; and 100 degrees at the bottom three or four hours later. Those last couple of miles on the Bright Angel with all the switchbacks rocked my world...ahem (total of about 17 miles I recall.)

To tell you the truth, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but oh so worth it. It's not recommended to do the hike in one day, but, hey, we were young, and were with one of Bill's college buddies, Bob Mirth, and his Dad, Dr. Dick Mirth. At the time Dr. Mirth was a Professor at University of Arizona - Flagstaff, and told us it would be no problem for us "runners." He also claimed he was an expert trail guide as he took his students there quite often and was in excellent shape for an "older guy" at that time. What was my problem then? I was so beat once back at the top, I even abstained going into the gift shop, and Bill (not a gift shop goer) selected a very nice Grand Canyon T-shirt for me. Yay!

Today, I went out to the National Parks Website and noticed that the parks are opening up for use. Check out where you'd like to go next: https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2020/06/reopening-national-park-system-whats-open

BSoleille! The bright side of our beautiful National Parks and all they offer for millions of visitors each year. Stay safe...

Terri





No comments: