A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Friday, January 5, 2018

Celebrating Others - Sophie Nolan

I think it would be only appropriate to begin my #CelebratingOthers with the woman who gave birth to me: Sophie (Zosia nee: Borkowski) Nolan. She was the fifth child (and last) born in 1931 of poor Polish immigrants in Cleveland, Ohio. She had a extremely tough upbringing (child of the depression/WW11), and life was not easy for her on many fronts, but she persevered and carved her own way in the world by working hard, getting married, and having a family of three daughters. Her style of parenting made each of her girls strong, capable and independent no matter what came their way.

I am truly grateful for the fortitude, resilience, and resolve needed to muster the last 21 years in dealing with my son's cancer and all that it entailed, and, of course, life in general. It's these attributes (plus others) that have kept me afloat, and I have my Mom to thank for these very precious life-saving skills gleaned and "honed" over my lifetime. It certainly has made a difference in coping with what life has thrown at me, and I work at it every day.

Unfortunately, the last several years have been especially difficult with her declining health, most notably, the dementia. But as I mentioned in a previous "Christmas Miracle" blogpost, she amazes everyone with the swift healing of her broken bones; probably a hallmark of her thick "Polish Princess" blood! What else could it be? At 86, she is still swinging for the fences! Now that is something to be thankful for...and celebrate!

#CelebratingOthers
Terri

Olivia, Grandma Sophie, me and Ryan (early 2000's)
Grandma Sophie and Ryan 2005




In Ocean City with the family 2002?

No comments: