A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Alzheimers Crippling the Beautiful Mind

My trips back to Ohio have been mostly met with fun events with family and friends through the years, but in the last several, visiting with my Mom as she battles the demons of Dementia, is obviously, not all fun and games. Due to her "good" physical health, and the fact my Mom is quite ambulatory, it's the deterioration of the brain, and therefore, personality that is so difficult to watch, and really, to fathom. This "crippling" of the beautiful mind is heartbreaking to witness and it's sad beyond measure for her and the 4.5 millions of Americans waging the same battle every day. I am thankful she has been taken care of in a Cleveland nursing home, and that my sisters who live in the area, keep tabs on her often.

So this past weekend, of course, visiting my Mom was top priority. And even though she has difficulty in placing how she knows me/us, we tell her who we are and then spend some quality time with her. What is great is that she's happy to smile and take photos with us for the obligatory "selfies" on each visit, so now I have a "nice" album of her through these punishing years.

BSoleille! The bright side of hoping viable treatment plans and reversal of this disease is on the next medical horizon...

Terri

Photo of my sister Kimberly, Sophie (mom) and me



1 comment:

retstoy said...

Glad you still have good times with your mom