A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Hygge

Hygge is a Danish word (pronounced "hue-gah") that is a feeling or mood that comes by taking genuine pleasure in making ordinary or everyday moments more meaningful, beautiful or special. It could be as simple as a good cup of hot coffee on a super cold morning (like this week exactly), or tea for us teetotalers, including the ritual of making the hot drink, then lingering over the cup, maybe even with a book or sitting quietly in a comfy chair.  Lighting a candle at every meal is hygge. And when you realize and are aware of the good moments in your life, and making it last, now that is hygge! Apparently, there is no English translation for hygge, but think simpleness, kinship, cosiness, charm and comfort. I try to incorporate a little hygge in each day, though never "knew" the word for it, and viola', we have it now!

So as we "rush" through this holiday season, my hope is for you to find the hygge in your life; some simple pleasure every day that you own and is meaninful in your world.

My photo today is hygge; a gifted tin of Christmas cookies by a good friend, and a hot mug of tea. So simple, so beautiful.

BSoleille!
Terri

No comments: