A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Becca's Run 2012

The childhood cancer community in the DC metropolitan area (and I'd say encompassing Northern VA, most of MD all the way to Baltimore MD) is a pretty tight knit "family". So this morning it was fitting for the many folks who came out to support the Lilly Family on the final running of Becca's 5k in Silver Spring, MD. It was a cool but brilliant sunshiny morning for a run. Over 700 runners hit the streets in full support -with the race proceeds aiding children (and their families) struggling with cancer as it has over the past 16 years.

Becca Lilly was diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor in 1991 at age 11. With courage and spunk, she overcame countless challenges for the next six years. She lived a life full of energy, compassion and commitment to others. Becca lost her battle with cancer in June of 1997. That October was the first Becca's Run started by her family and friends.

Our family has done Becca's Run most of the past 16 years and I'm thankful to have been a part of such a great event!

BSoleille! The bright side of supporting a great cause!

Photos of the start and finish with Ryan who did the 2 mile walk. I ran the 5k and finished 3rd in my age group; hence the white Becca's cap for my prize!

No comments: