A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Thursday, August 25, 2016

"Throw Back Thursday" from Last Week

Before any more time slips away, I want to have "Guest Blogger", Bill Tomoff, describe what stepping out of his comfort zone means to him from our trip out West. (Now, I could be "snarky" and say he has been married to me for 29 years, and he has really stepped out of comfort zone on many occasions, but I'll let that one go!) 

Please enjoy this one from Bill:

Take a Hike...Outside Your Comfort Zone

"Coming out of your comfort zone is tough in the beginning, chaotic in the middle, and awesome in the end...because in the end, it shows you a whole new world !!
Make an attempt..."



In the past year, I have committed to take on challenges that take me outside my comfort zone. I am a conservative personality and an accounting professional...risk averse as one might expect.

As Manoj Arora notes in the quote above, make an attempt and you will feel awesome and experience "a whole new world."

I recently shared my "Journey to 100 TED Talks" and have been thrilled with the content viewed. Many talks challenged my perspective and have pushed me to regularly reflect outside my comfort zone. This has truly been awesome and I have continued to date...now to 141 talks and counting!

While son Ryan was attending Special Love Camp Fantastic this past week, the rest of our family challenged ourselves with an outdoor adventure to Zion National Park in Utah. My wife, Terri, and daughter, Olivia, and I did hiking excursions every day. Our accommodation was a "covered wagon" at the Zion Ponderosa Resort Ranch. The wagon included 3 beds, but did not include electricity! Amazing, and a sign of the times we live in, the entire resort area had free wi-fi service.

The week included many moments of being outside my comfort zone, but I now reflect back on the week as one of our family's most incredible vacation endeavors!

A "bucket list" item for Olivia involved hiking Angels Landing which is considered a strenuous and dangerous hike. Thankfully, I was not fully aware of the extent of the 5 mile journey we set out to complete. Completing this hike and sharing the challenge with Terri and Olivia was an amazing highlight of the week and a moment none of us will ever forget!

The YouTube link below provides a fabulous 4 minute overview of the hike.


What is outside your comfort zone? Commit to regularly take on these opportunities. You will feel awesome and experience a whole new world.

Ryan at Camp Fantastic



Our Covered Wagon accommodations for the week


Terri and Bill hiking The Narrows in Zion National Park. Photo modified using the PRISMA app.


Terri and Bill in The Narrows. Our hike distance about 9 miles and took about 4 1/2 hours.

No comments: