We are safely home and Day #6 (was yesterday) and a fairly long travel day with strong head winds extending the ride a bit. But nonetheless, it was all well worth it and we had a wonderful time in the "Kingdom."
Our Top Ten Takeaways of the trip:
1) #MindTheGap - it's the thing that sticks in your brain after riding the tube "train" for many trips and that's what they say getting on and off.
2) In addition to the above, the tube is the most efficient and affordable method of transportation and the only mode of moving around the city that we used for the entire trip (no need for car).
3) The entire country is super passionate about their football - bar none. I witnessed an usher ask a young boy to either remove his hat or turn it inside out (colors/team name on beanie hat for the opposing team) so he would not be "penalized" by the crowd (and he was with his parents to boot!).
4) Lots of smoking....
5) Due to "bone-chilling" cold and dampness, down coats are ubiquitous (the Canada Goose brand was very noticeable and they are very expensive at about $1000 a pop). (We layered and walked fast and felt fine with the cool temperatures).
6) Excellent and super fun pubs everywhere (with great draft and craft beers). Also, great shopping!
7) This big spread out city still had a lot of tourists...even in mid-January (though no lines at the Tower of London, and we were basically all alone in the room with the Crown Jewels).
8) Black is the "main" color choice in clothing and winter garb for the Londoners.
9) Lots of walking to a tune of over 10 miles a day/ 50+ miles for the five days
10) We would love to return someday and see a "little more" of this dynamic city that oozes charm and history beyond measure. #thankful and #blessed