A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

How is the Summer Reading Going?

Lots of the summer issues of various magazines post "the best reads" for summer, along with their picks of blockbuster movies and the like. I would like to say I am in a sort of "trifecta" of World War ll history and the modern war movie: "The Lone Survivor" with Mark Wahlberg. It is the true story of Navy Seal Team 10 on a failed mission of "Operation Red Wings" in June 2005 to capture a leader of the Taliban. Gut wrenching that only one soldier survived, Marcus Luttrell (he wrote the book as well).  Excellent film!

After finishing this post I plan to finish the tome, "The Monuments Men" by Robert M. Edsel. I realize it is now a motion picture but want to finish the book before I see the movie due to all the detail that is in the book. I guess I never realized when countries go to war, so much culture goes to ruin as well.  During WW ll a group of dedicated "soldiers" were put in some very precarious situations to "save" or rescue the priceless pieces of art, culture, and architecture all the world knew and preserve Europe's greatest works from the Nazi looting machine. Tall order for sure!  

And lastly, I am listening to the book: "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. It is a true story about Louis Zamperini, a Track Olympian in the 1936 games, an airman in the Army during WW ll whose plane got shot down in the Pacific and "survived" on a raft for 47 days until he was captured, and then was a POW in Japan for 2.5 years!  It is really an incredible story of survival, resilience, redemption all rolled into one huge book (book on tape for me). Mr. Zamperini just past away last week, and a movie is in the works with Angelina Jolie directing (she was able to let him see several scenes before he died). A must read/listen to!!!

BSoleille! The bright side of reading something great and compelling!
Terri 


No comments: