A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Heroes

What or who do you think of when you hear the word "heroes"?  We have all heard of "fallen heroes", "sports heroes", and "boy scout heroes", but for me this weekend, it's been the couples and individuals I met facing courageous battles with their cancer fighting kids. 

At lunch today, our speaker was Tom (and his wife, Sheila) Baker, founders of Special Love in 1982 following the death of their daughter from childhood cancer. Their grief was so intense they wanted to do something to help others and lesson their struggles of moving forward.  So by the grace of God, they had 30 campers in 1983 in what they called Camp Fantastic in Front Royal, Virginia. Fast forward 30 years and this camp serves over 100 campers every summer and growing!!!  That's a big "How How"!

Tom ended his speech with the following poem he wrote in 2012 that I simply love. And may I mention Tom is a very talented guy, and learned everything from his wife! (wink wink) 

Heroes

 

"Who are your heroes?  Are they on the screen?  Do they play football and act real mean?  Are they on TV or sing your favorite song?  Are they politicians and tell us right from wrong?"

 

"My heroes are young, some with no hair. Some walk with a limp because of the brace they wear. Some have a shunt or a tube or two, some have an artificial leg they wear in their shoe."

 

"Some may look different than the rest of their peers, some do not talk much and tell you their fears. They have more courage than I can say, and they love life in a special way."

 

"They love everyday and the people they meet. And vow to the world, the big "C" they will defeat."

 

"When they are around, we all learn a thing or two, these are my heroes, for them there is nothing I would not do."

 

"They are my heroes, I know they are yours too!"

 

Tom Baker 2012 (with permission to put on my blog today)


BSoleille!

Terri

Photo of Shari Fisher, Maureen Lilly, Marilyn Eichner, Tom and Sheila Baker (me between them)


No comments: