A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

The "Real ID" - Are you Updated?

The State of Maryland is going through the process of updating all licensed Maryland drivers and ID holders to the mandated Real ID (from the Real ID Act of Congress in 2005). It's a form of ID that meets increased security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and ID cards. Travelers will be required to provide Real ID or another TSA approved form of ID in order to fly after October 1, 2020. Forty states are compliant with Real ID so far (including Delaware, Maryland, VA and DC).

I looked it up on whether travel can take place with an "old" (non-compliant) license by using a viable passport, and the answer is yes. However, I decided to "comply" and "update" my license yesterday at the Annapolis DMV. Sigh...who likes going and waiting for "hours?"

Interestingly, the entire process was painless and I was very impressed with the efficiency provided at the Annapolis DMV (my wait was four pages read in a magazine). Thankfully, I already had the  "new" license with the "star" on it, but because I got it when it was relatively brand new; the documents required now were not required then. I scrounged up the documents needed that would prove that the person on my driver's license was indeed me!

The woman who updated my license was very personable and quick, even telling me to put my wallet away (I assumed there was a cost associated with this procedure) because there was no cost at all, just an update of their records with my official documents provided. Good deal for sure.

To further expedite an update, appointments are scheduled so the process can be quick (less than 20 minutes from the time you walk in the door; if not quicker).

BSoleille! The bright side of being compliant with a Real ID and can travel domestically (especially after Oct. 2020).

Terri



No comments: