A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Power of a "Live" Conversation

This post will be a little longer than usual, but it is one with a great ending:

No doubt, the power of social media has exploded in the last five years, and that is all fine and well and continues to grow.  But we must not forget the power of real time conversation, and the impact we still have with a "one on one"!

Last month, during Childhood Cancer Awareness in September, I posted about going to the check presentation from the Just Tryan It Foundation to the Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic at Georgetown University Hospital.  This wonderful foundation has in place a family emergency fund for families, not only fighting the cancer battle with their children, but fighting the bills that come piling up very quickly.  It is a valiant effort in helping many families that would find if very difficult to march on without their assistance.

But that night, my husband came with me and ended up having a nice conversation with a board member of Just Tryan It.  They talked about many things (and I am sure he thanked the board member for their donation first and foremost) but they got onto the topic of Late Effects of Childhood Cancer Survivors.  My husband spoke from the heart about how thankful we are that our son (and many of the kids treated for cancer) survived the 'ordeal', but Late Effects are real and creep up unwittingly (high blood pressure, academic issues, growth issues, endocrine issues).  There is a large need to keep these children healthy and safe once they are done with their cancer treatments.  They ended their conversation with this board member stating that he will bring the Late Effects concern back to the full board and see what he can do.

Fast forward to yesterday morning when I received a call from Dr. Aziza Shad, Director of the Peds/Hem/Onc Clinic at Georgetown to thank me (really, my husband Bill) for that conversation Bill had last month precipitated the funding of a Nurse Practitioner position at Georgetown focusing on Late Effects of Child Cancer Survivors!  I/we are thrilled with this news, and, I believe, it was the power of the friendly and honest "one on one" conversation that edged that funding in that direction.  Their Family Assistance Fund is still top, but they are fully on board with Late Effects as well.  I am so thankful for that!

BSoleille!  The bright side of helping others in whatever capacity is needed...The Just Tryan It Foundation. justtryanit.com

Terri

No comments: