A daily record of gratitude; from quilting to photography to a mix of technology, books, movies and the musings of life!

Welcome to my Blog of my daily gratitude and photo of the day!

Since January 1, 2012, my goal is to write a daily sentence or two (or paragraph or two) about gratitude of the day and to include one photo (at least) that I took that day (but will add others from time to time). It has definitely been a challenge most days throughout the past eight years, and welcomed the challenge again this year - 2020 - Covid and all. I hope you will continue the ride with me!

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Time Off Overrated? Quilt Guild's Appreciation Breakfast!

I took yesterday off from blogging on Quilts From the Heart, and I missed it too much to not blog, so I am back.  So much for time off, yes?  I must say I may not post everyday, but now the "pressure" is off for the moment.

Unfortunately, my "sports car" that can haul....stuff, and lots of it, plus seven people and a bunch of kids going to soccer tournements died today.  Not with out a fight though, and one last trip to Georgetown University Hospital for a very special occasion with my quilt guild.  About a year or so ago, I was mentioning to one of the social workers at Georgetown (who happens to be married to the Chief of Pediatrics) that my quilt guild has been very prolific in providing beautiful, made with love and prayers, quilts to every newly diagnosed pediatric cancer patient. It did not take long for Dr. David Nelson (Chief) and Tim Mooney (Hospital Administrator) to call me that very same day to "plan" an event to thank all the ladies who make and donate the quilts to the hospital.

"Fast" forward a year, and today we had the Southern Comforters Quilt Guild's Appreciation Breakfast at the Hospital.  My van (Ginawinakafina) barely made it to the parking lot, and thank goodness one other member (Loretto) drove down as well and had my "back" to fend off angry motorists when she realized I was having trouble etc.  But getting back to the breakfast, it was wonderful, and many quilts were presented today to the staff to share with their patients in the new year.  I am so thankful that this program exists, and that the quilters witnessed first hand where I have taken close to 2000 of the most precious one-of-a-kind quilts for distribution by a staff member (doctor, nurse, social worker or art therapist) when they feel it's an appropriate time for the child/family member.

BSoleille!  For bright happy quilts for cancer kids.

terri




Photo of SCQG and staff:  Standing L-R: Holly Novak; Marion Wise; Mary Kay Kerr; Loretto Cartney; Susie Stevenson; Dr. David Nelson, Mary Lane (Social Worker); Jan Powers, RN; Art Therapist Jess and Tracy Councill;  Kneeling:  Pat Scully; Terri Tomoff; Florence Marion; Dr. Aziza Shad (Director of Georgetown Pediatric Oncology/Hemotology Clinic) and Dr. Amal Abu-Ghosh



No comments: